The annual System Dynamics conference brings together people from around the world to share important research and application results and to build the community of those active in the field. For 2017 we return to Cambridge. The conference 2017 marks the 60th anniversary of the founding of the field of System Dynamics.
The program includes plenary presentations that showcase important work in the field, parallel and poster sessions that present the most current research and applications, and a full day of skill-building workshops covering topics from basic software use to advanced analysis techniques. Panel discussions, special interest group sessions, student colloquia, a modeling assistance workshop, vendor exhibits, and demonstrations round out the program. The conference schedule provides time for social and professional interaction.
System Dynamics is a very useful tool in the field of accounting. Accounting is a science that serves society well for what can be seen and measured to the present time. But there are inherent weaknesses in what accountants try to measure and report due to flawed mental models, time delays and non-linearity. Many accounting rules of today require estimates based upon what is not observable today. Simply said, because the accounting industry struggles to find smooth calculations that are accurate, the effects on organizations and people are counter to what is generally desired. System Dynamics modeling can greatly assist accountants with these challenges by giving them better insights and judgments in their accounting estimates in areas beyond their current observation, which will become the measurement.
System Dynamics Society is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have the final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.
At this conference, participants will:
- Learn about the particular and varied uses and benefits of different System Dynamics modeling approaches.
- Take part in a full day of skill-building workshops and tutorial sessions facilitated by leading scholars, covering topics from basic software use to advanced analysis techniques.
- Attend a variety of plenary, parallel, and poster sessions covering topic threads including, but not limited to, business, economics, human behavior, information and knowledge, methodology, operations, security, and stakeholder engagement; sessions will showcase work in the field and present important research, applications, and projects in progress.
- Receive valuable feedback on works and ideas, including System Dynamics models.
- Meet and connect with other academics, researchers, managers, consultants, and practitioners.
Who Should Attend?
- Consultants: Demonstrate the power of System Dynamics in client work and see what others are doing.
- Practitioners: Show what is being done in your organization and learn what is happening elsewhere.
- Managers and Policy Makers: Tell others what you see as valuable and discover new directions your organization can move in.
- Educators: Let people know what you are doing and see what is being done with students at all levels.
- Academics: Communicate your research results and find out about research being conducted around the world.
- Students: Share your research, get feedback, and discover research directions and collaborators.
CPA Conference participants can earn up to 24 credits in Specialized Knowledge and Applications, Economics, Business Management & Organization, Computer Science, and Mathematics.
Refunds and Cancellations:
Any cancellation or change in conference registration must be submitted in writing to the Society office. Cancellations on or before June 27, 2017 are subject to a cancellation fee of 50%. Thereafter, no refund will be given; however, a registration may be transferred to a substitute participant.
For more information regarding refund, complaint, and/or cancellation policies, please contact our office at: (518) 442-3865
To register and pay online (using PayPal), please go to Web Portal Login. Registrations may also be made by telephone with a credit card, or by submitting the completed Conference Registration Form via fax or post to the address indicated.
Participants should have a general understanding of what System Dynamics is, and understand that it can be applied in a variety of fields. An introduction to System Dynamics can be found on our website.
There is no advanced preparation required to attend the Conference. Note that some workshop facilitators may suggest certain reading prior to their workshop. This is information can be found in the abstract for each workshop.
Program Level: Overview
Delivery Method: Group-Live