The Newcomer Orientation Session is a special event for newcomers, scheduled for a half hour on Sunday, July 18 at 5:30 PM. Newcomers and guides (veteran attendees) will be brought together based on their topics of interest. The guides will answer questions and provide information to help newcomers get the most out of the conference.
If you are a newcomer and would like to participate in this program, please mark the circle on the registration form for first-time participant. To volunteer as a guide, please contact Len Malczynski at email@example.com.
Please explore the Venue page and associated pages for local information.
Fun with First Lines
What grabs your interest when you pick up a new book? Is it the first line?
Below are eight ‘first lines’ of books from the System Dynamics field. Try your hand at naming the books from which these lines came. Each ‘first line’ is either from the preface or first chapter.
All answers will be revealed at the 2016 Conference in Delft. Good luck!
1. I have lived my whole adult life worrying about the future.
2. The manager’s task is far more difficult and challenging than the normal tasks of the mathematician, the physicist, or the engineer.
3. A basic assumption underlying important decisions in all industrial societies is that sustained growth in material and energy consumption is possible, desirable, and even inevitable.
4. To overshoot means to go too far, to go beyond limits accidentally-without intention.
5. The greatest constant of modern times is change.
6. From a very early age, we are taught to break apart problems, to fragment the world.
7. I have always been fascinated by models and games and particularly by model conceptualization, the process by which people represent and simplify situations from the real world to make sense of them.
8. The Strategic Management field is in a somewhat sorry state today, as compared with the confidence it exhibited in the 1970s and 1980s.